Looks like Sammy Bogaert over at Boerlowie’s Blog has possibly found the release date of vSphere 5.1… maybe?
I was about to download vSphere Update Manager PowerCLI 5.0.
I followed the main site and wanted to check the documentation first. So I clicked the Documentation button.
This lead me to the Docs of Update Manager PowerCLI 5.1! That’s right, 5.1! With a release date of 10 September 2012.
None of the links for 5.1 work, so no news on any new features…
Guess somebody at VMware was a bit too fast to update the website
Nice find Sammy, guess time will tell if the Sept. 10th date is the actual release date or not.
VMware vCenter 5.0 Update 1a has just been released and is the first major update since version 5.0.
The main improvements being:
- vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1a introduces support for the following vCenter Databases
- Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Standard ONE Edition Release 2 [184.108.40.206] – 64 bit
- Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Standard ONE Edition Release 2 [220.127.116.11] – 32 bit
- vCenter Server Appliance Database Support: The DB2 express embedded database provided with the vCenter Server Appliance has been replaced with VMware vPostgres database. This decreases the appliance footprint and reduces the time to deploy vCenter Server further.
VMware has just released it’s forth minor update for VMware Workstation 8, bringing it up to 8.0.4. The looks to contain mostly a few bug and security fixes.
- Linux guests running the Linux kernel version 2.6.34 or later could not be pinged from the host via an IPv6 address.
- On rare occasions, Linux guests would suddenly fail to Autofit or enter Unity.
- Unity mode would exit if the title bar of an application contained certain non UTF-8 encoded extended ASCII characters.
- On Windows hosts, the VMware Workstation user interface sometimes became unresponsive when minimized from full-screen mode if the suggestion balloon was being displayed.
- On Windows hosts, the user interface sometimes became unresponsive if the application was rendered on an extended display that was abruptly disconnected.
These are the few steps I do when creating a new "Golden" image. Luckily I don’t have to do these steps all the time as I’ll create the "Golden" image when there is a new upgrade such as when we went from View 4.6 to View 5.0.1. I like to have a new fresh machine using new virtual hardware from the start. You could certainly just upgrade the virtual hardware on the "Golden" image, I just prefer to start clean.
At any rate, here’s my list. Hopefully someone might find it somewhat useful and maybe even others can improve upon it.
Preparing a new virtual machine
- Create New Virtual Machine – FILE > NEW > VIRTUAL MACHINE (CTRL+N)
- Under Configuration select CUSTOM.
- Select a Name, Folder, Host, Cluster, and Storage.
- Under Guest Operating System select Windows and then Windows 7 32bit under the Version drop down.
- Select which Network (VLAN) and under Adapter select VMXNET 3.
- Configure disk size to 30GB THIN provisioned.
VMware has announced that they have released a View Client for Android tablets available on the Android Market now. Here are just a few of the features found on the new client.
- A new look and feel – The View Client for Android features the NEW blue look and feel of the VMware View clients!
- Multiple broker support – If you have more than one VMware View broker in your organization, you can can easily access your desktop from all of them via the Android client
- Desktop Shortcuts – Quickly connect with as many as four recent desktop via shortcuts
- Virtual trackpad – Control your desktop on a granular level just like you would control the mouse on a laptop
- Custom keyboard toolbar – Super easy access to all of the special keys not found on the Android default keynboard
- Honeycomb 3.x support – Made from the ground up for the new generation of Android tablets
- Custom gestures – Invoke keyboard, scrolling, etc are as easy as ever and simple to use
- VMware View Security Server support (best experience) – No need to have VPN when you use VMware View Security Server
- Background tasking – Switch between apps on your tablet and come right back