These are the few steps I do when creating a new "Golden" image. Luckily I don’t have to do these steps all the time as I’ll create the "Golden" image when there is a new upgrade such as when we went from View 4.6 to View 5.0.1. I like to have a new fresh machine using new virtual hardware from the start. You could certainly just upgrade the virtual hardware on the "Golden" image, I just prefer to start clean.
At any rate, here’s my list. Hopefully someone might find it somewhat useful and maybe even others can improve upon it.
Preparing a new virtual machine
- Create New Virtual Machine – FILE > NEW > VIRTUAL MACHINE (CTRL+N)
- Under Configuration select CUSTOM.
- Select a Name, Folder, Host, Cluster, and Storage.
- Under Guest Operating System select Windows and then Windows 7 32bit under the Version drop down.
- Select which Network (VLAN) and under Adapter select VMXNET 3.
- Configure disk size to 30GB THIN provisioned.