Sometime ago I asked a question over at the VMware forum about how to set default network printers on a VMware View 5.0 floating pool that used Persona Management as Persona Management wasn’t keeping this user setting on it’s own. The printers would be added to the VM just not remember the default printer setting. I’ll admit I forgot to update the thread, but a work around was devised which I’ll share below.
Ever work on a View 5.x Desktop issue and needed access to the desktop it self while in use? While not a feature that is easily enabled say via the vmTools or the View Administrator console – it can however be easily enabled via Group Policy, similar to some other settings that I mention in the Windows 7 Optimization Guide.
Enable PCoIP Shadowing
- Import the pcoip.adm GPO Template.
- Navigate to: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Classic Administrative Templates (ADM) > PCoIP Session Variables.
- Enable “Enable access to PCoIP session from a vSphere console”.
- Link the GPO to the OU where your View Desktops reside.
Horizon View 5.2 is receiving an update to 5.3! Doesn’t sound like much, but in that tiny dot number increase VMware has in fact brought a number improvements and features to Horizon View.
In a nut shell, some features Horizon View 5.3 brings is the ability to connect to a virtual desktop from any HTML5 capable web browser (yes, even Chromebook!), ability to bring full workstation class user experience with 3D graphics, deploy Windows Server 2008 as a desktop, as well as completely rewritten the Windows client with support for Windows 8.1 and a new iOS7 client too.
In more detail, Horizon View 5.3 brings…
Chris Halstead (@chrisdhalsted), just made every Horizon View administrators job just a little bit easier by releasing a free tool that will allow you to setup alerts and notifications for events in View such as Warnings and Audit failures. The Horizon View Events Notifier tool uses SMTP and allows you to add multiple addresses in the alert recipients field.
VMware has been on a roll here lately releasing new technical white papers for VMware Horizon View. If you already have a View environment or about to roll one out, I’d recommend reading these papers to make sure you’re following the recommended best practices.
- A Performance Deep Dive on Hardware Accelerated 3D Graphics
- Virtual Machine Graphics Acceleration Deployment Guide
- VMware Horizon View 5.2 Performance & Best Practices
- VMware Horizon View Optimization Guide for Windows 7 and Windows 8
Also, be sure to check out my View Windows 7 Optimization Guide as well.