Synology DSM 5.2 exits beta, goes Gold
Synology has just released DSM 5.2-5565 that’s been in beta for a while now but has finally left beta and ready for prime time!
DSM 5.2-5565 is packed with a load of new features such as Single Sign-On, iSCSI LUN Snapshots along with MANY new packages and package updates. Like Cloud Station now being able to sync files larger then 10GB! DSM 5.2 also introduces support for Docker!
What’s New in Synology DSM 5.2
- Single Sign-On
- You can register multiple DSM and access them using one set of credentials. After initial login, linked DSM accounts will automatically log in to avoid credential re-authentication.
- Added SMB3 and end-to end data encryption support.
- Added support for file-level restoration with File Version Browser in multi-version backup tasks.
- You can set up backup rotation to recycle old backup versions automatically in multi-version backup tasks.
- Added data transfer encryption support for multi-version backup.
- Added support for Amazon S3 China Region as a backup destination.
- You can take iSCSI snapshots more frequently, up to every five minutes.
- You can set the snapshot retention policy to retain a specific number of versions for hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshots.
- Added support for two new modes when creating a bond interface: Adaptive Load Balancing and Balance XOR.
- SSD cache now has a smaller memory footprint, consuming 90% less memory than DSM 5.1 for newly created SSD caches.
- You can manage and transfer files to popular public cloud services such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
- The built-in photo viewer now supports full-screen mode.
- You can drag and drop files between two browsers.
- You can set the number of times a shared link can be accessed.
- Added playlist support for the built-in audio player.
- You can use the built-in mail client to send shared links.
- Enhanced stability.
- DSM will automatically add port forwarding rules required by QuickConnect services on your compatible UPnP router, saving your time on network configuration.
- You can add welcome messages to deliver information to users before they log in to the system.
- DSM Help
- You can reach online resources such as FAQ and compatibility lists in DSM Help now.
- One more tutorial about how to back up data from your computer is added in the section of Get started with DSM.
- You can customize the security level of SSH connections by selecting which encryption algorithm(s) to use.
- Added more flexible port forwarding rules, including assigning random port numbers, and customized port settings.
- You can set usage quotas for different groups. The group usage quota is automatically applied when a user is added to the group.
What’s New in Synology Packages
- Single Sign-On Package
- Based on the OAuth2 standard, SSO Server package turns Synology NAS into a SSO server that allows developers to register their web applications to the server and utilize the single sign-on feature. This increases daily productivity by saving time spent on re-authentication.
- Docker is a lightweight virtualization application that gives you the ability to run thousands of containers created by developers from all over the world on DSM. The hugely popular built-in image repository, Docker Hub, allows you to find shared applications from other talented developers.
- A step-by-step tutorial is introduced to guide you through the basic container creation.
- Added to-do list feature. You can add tasks to notes or add them independently to the to-do list.
- Manage tasks by specifying a priority, due date, and reminder.
- Synology Web Clipper is now available on the Chrome Web Store. You can clip web content directly to Note Station.
- Export notebooks to a nsx file for backup or for importing to another Synology NAS.
- Export individual notes as HTML files so that users without Note Station can read them.
- You can archive seldomly used notebooks so that they will not be displayed in the notebook section or in search results.
- Enhanced Note Station file structure. A three-tier structure (Shelf, Notebook, and Note) provides greater flexibility for organizing Note Station.
- You can display notes in presentation mode.
- You can create new notes in a joined notebook if you were given modify permissions.
- You can share notes via the built-in DSM email application.
- You can change the default notebook.
- You can adjust the default note font size.
- Import notes from YinXiangBiJi.
- Better note version conflict handling.
- Todo badge number on Desktop icon.
- Added support for low-latency smart polling.
- You can assign different historic version numbers for each shared folder.
- Enhanced general performance.
- Added support for native renaming operation.
- Administrators can enable/disable Cloud Station directly from Package Center.
- Added support for File Station Recycle Bin.
- Files greater than 10GB can be synced.
- Updated PC client for Windows, Mac and Linux:
- Added a quick setup wizard.
- Added a search feature to automatically find all Synology NAS in the local area network.
- Added a system tray menu in graphic user interface.
- You can right-click to stop or resume syncing for specific subfolders.
- You can right-click a synced folder to generate a folder sharing link.
- You can right-click any file on your computer to copy it to the Cloud Station folder.
- Added a client-side sync log.
- Added unidirectional sync from NAS to public cloud and from public cloud to NAS.
- You can encrypt and compress data sent to public cloud storage.
- Added support for Amazon S3 compatible public cloud service providers.
- Added support for WebDAV public cloud service providers.
- Added support for Amazon Cloud Drive.
- Added support for Megafon Disk.
- Added support for native renaming operation (support level differs with public cloud storage API).
- You can customize both task name and polling period.
- You can sync files as large as 10GB with OneDrive.
- Added support for File Station Recycle Bin.
- Added attachment filter to block specific file extensions.
- You can receive real-time notifications regarding daily quota status.
- Added support for SPF/DKIM and DMARC sender validation.
- Added customized auto-reply and content setting features.
- Daily quotas can be set by user.
- Enhanced to handle Amazon server-side speed limit.
- Enhanced general performance.
- You can use hotkeys to fast forward, rewind, and adjust the volume during video playback.
- Subtitle files can now be located anywhere on your Synology NAS and no longer need to match the filename of your video files. Simply select them using the built-in chooser in Video Station during playback.
- More code-pages supported to correctly recognize subtitles in different languages.
- You can set a timing offset to sync subtitles with video playback.
- You can customize video posters by selecting an image from your Synology NAS.
- Use the shortcut on the library to quickly add video folders.
- You can delete videos directly from Video Station
- Supported right-click context menu to access useful functions more quickly.
- Added support for indexing CUE sheet files to display all indexed audio tracks, and the song information of an undivided album file for management (requires DSM 5.2).
- Added support of transcoding FLAC/APE, ALAC/AAC, OGG, AIFF formats for DLNA players.
- A brand-new design that gives Photo Station mobile a refreshed look-and-feel. The update includes two major improvements: watching videos and linking directly to details page of a photo.
- You can select specific albums when creating a smart album.
- More EXIF information is displayed in the lightbox page, and can also be added as conditions when creating smart albums.
- Previews for photos and videos are available for torrent downloads.
- Added support for HTTP downloads with multiple connections.
- Resumed video transcoding support (This feature is supported by select models. Please go here for detailed information).
- Redmine is a flexible project management web application. It has numerous features and can be run on Synology NAS via Docker.
- GitLab is a web-based Git repository manager with wiki and issue tracking features. It has numerous features and can be run on Synology NAS via Docker.
- LXQt is a desktop utility built on QT with partial Razor-qt and LXDE components. It comes with a basic graphical user interface which gives users the ability to leverage certain operating system features, such as web browsing. It has numerous features and can be run on Synology NAS via Docker.
- SpreeCommerce is a full-featured storefront tool built on common standards so you do not have to compromise speed to market, efficiency, or innovation. You can also easily leverage the advantages of modular design to configure, supplement, or replace the functionalities you need. It has numerous features and can be run on Synology NAS via Docker.
- Discourse is a forum application software with a focus on user experience by introducing infinite scrolling, live updates, drag and drop attachments and more. It has numerous features and can be run on Synology NAS via Docker.
- MantisBT is an open source, web-based issue tracker and project management tool with a focus on simplicity and flexibility. Users are able to get started quickly and manage their projects effectively, making collaboration with team members and clients easy and professional.
- LimeSurvey is a powerful survey creation tool that help you easily create and publish intuitive and question-and-answer surveys and collect responses without the requirement of technical background. LimeSurvey also provides graphical analysis of the result for you to quickly find the information from the statistics. You also have the full control of whom to access the survey, either publish the survey publicly or limit only the users with the “once-only” token.
- Enhanced general performance.
- Bug fixes and usability enhancements.
- DSM 5.2 is the last supported major DSM version for all 10-series models.
- An issue of data consistency caused by SSD TRIM is not resolved yet; as a result, SSD TRIM is currently disabled in DSM 5.2.
- DSM 5.2 is the last DSM version to support Time Backup as an add-on application in Package Center. Time Backup features will be fully merged into the built-in Backup package in future releases. Existing Time Backup users will not be affected.
- Sharing via Facebook and Google+ will no longer be supported starting from DSM 5.2.
Compatibility and Installation
- DSM 5.2 can only be installed on Synology products running DSM 5.0 or above. Before starting, please log in to DSM and go to DSM Update to install the latest DSM.
- Some features have specific hardware requirements and are only available on certain Synology NAS products.
How to install Synology DSM 5.2-5565
You can download the Synology DSM 5.2-5565 from the Synology Download Center or by logging into your Synology dashboard and going to: Control Panel > System > Update & Restore.
Upgraded to latest DSM5.2-5565 while running java version 1.7.0_51 with CrashPlan version 3.7.0-0030. Following reboot, I am unable to restart Crashplan service locally on Synology. Before upgrading all was well. Thanks for your guidance.
Same here. Crashplan service stopped after upgrade and won’t start. Runing java 1.7.0_79 & Crashplan 3.7.0-0030 on a DS-412+.
You’re running the same versions on all the software with the only exception being Java, I have since upgraded the Java on Java Manager to 1.7.0_75. Not sure if that would make any difference for you but might be worth trying. So far CrashPlan has been running on DSM 5.2-5565 since yesterday morning without issue and even after a reboot of the NAS.
Take a look here for CrashPlan fix: http://chrisnelson.ca/2015/05/12/fixing-crashplan-4-2-0-on-synology-after-dsm-5-2-update/
Tnx, I’ll check it out!
That worked. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing. Knock on wood but so far I’ve still not ran into any issues with CrashPlan and DSM 5.2 but glad Chris came up with a workaround until a new package is released by PCLoadLetter.
There is a new CrashPlan package released today, version 4.2.0-0031. So far so good for me.
Upgraded to DSM5.2-5565 and now VPN is having issues. It will connect but now when I try to establish a RDP session my VPN connection will drop.